TemporoMandibular Joint (TMJ) in West Covina
TemporoMandibular Joint (TMJ) is a joint that connects your jaw to the bones of your skull. Basically, TMJ lets you move your jaw up and down and side to side, so you can talk, chew, and yawn. In general, TemporoMandibular Joint disorder means that the joint connecting the upper and lower jaw isn't working well. Having problems in this joint is fairly difficult because this is one of the most difficult joints in the body. This joint is responsible for moving the lower jaw forward, backward and side-to-side. Our dentist at Smile Center West Covina, CA can provide you treatment options to help you get that dream smile.
TemporoMandibular Joint (TMJ) Disorder Symptoms
- Pain and pressure behind the eyes
- Popping sound when you open or close your mouth
- Pain brought by opening the mouth widely or chewing
- Jaws can get stuck
- Swelling of the face
Contact Smile Center West Covina today for a free consultation (626-918-3388) !
Can TemporoMandibular Joint (TMJ) be treated?
There is no treatment but there are different alternatives you can do in order to reduce your pain.
- Take medication such as muscle-relaxants, aspirin or other pain-relievers
- To prevent upper teeth griding against lower teeth, your dentist recommends wearing a bite plate or splint that is Custom-made to fit your mouth
- In some cases, Jaw joint surgery is necessary